Not really a beginner/follow along tutorial

May 8, 2010 at 4:29 PM
Edited May 8, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Joe,

I've watched a lot of your videos and appreciate the effort you put into them and this tutorial.   But, your claim that the reader can use the included code or follow along and build the example from scratch is false.  The problem is that you present the database as a "fiat accompli"...just bam, there it is. A beginner isn't going to look at your relationship diagram and figure out how to build the tables, much less the views and stored procedures.  I know you aren't trying to write a book and already have an 84 page tutorial, but if you want this to be a follow along tutorial, you either need to provide more detail on the database creation, or clarify that this tutorial is only for beginners to VS 2010 and not beginning developers.

Additionally, the code/tutorial download still includes the mistaken instruction to create an empty website (unless the download button doesn't get the latest version of the tutorial and I'm too new at how things are done on CodePlex). 

I appreciate the work you are putting into this, and I understand that it's a work in progress.  I've been programming for a long time but the whole web thing passed me by and I'm now playing catch-up.  Perhaps my newbishness can help you tune-up the tutorial by being an advocate for people that know even less than I do?

Michael  

Coordinator
May 10, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Hi Michael,

I used to do that and people always told me it was a waste of time because creating the database was "obviouse" by looking at it.

If you're having trouble folling the totrial please feel free to email me and I'll try to help you.

Joe

May 11, 2010 at 3:06 PM
I agree with Michael. You seem to be assuming too much from a beginner. The lack of going through the database creation, etc. is a large hole to fill for a beginner. Maybe you should make this an intermediate tutorial or else take a few minutes to fill in the gaps. A beginner will stay with you longer if you don't leave important things out and also take some time to proof your materials. Can you correct the "Empty" website mistake? Why assume that people should know you didn't really mean that?